PUBLIC STATEMENT: BC & Alberta Guide Dogs – Response to COVID-19
Last Updated: March 27, 2020
In response to recent federal and provincial recommendations, BC & Alberta Guide Dogs would like to reassure our clients, friends, donors and volunteers with an update about how we are addressing COVID-19 concerns.
Our organization is open for business and continuing our mission to provide Guide and Service Dogs to those in need, but we have made some changes to limit exposure of our staff and volunteers in the communities we operate in.
- Non-urgent appointments and external presentations / puppy visits are suspended until further notice.
- Staff and volunteers who are unwell or are in close proximity with the elderly and immunocompromised are asked to self-isolate.
- The majority of office staff will work from home. Staff remaining in the office will each have their own room in the building to conduct their work.
- Puppies-in-training will continue to train at home, or in outdoor public areas where physical distancing is possible. Training is not permitted on public transit or near large groups of people. Puppy Training Supervisors will support Puppy Raisers via one-on-one video meetings or in outdoor locations where physical distancing is possible.
- Dogs in the advanced training program will continue to train, but one-on-one with the Instructors. Dogs will be picked up outside the boarder / foster homes in the driveway or yard. If a boarder / foster is sick, there will be no contact until they are well, and the isolation period is completed.
- No dog harnesses / jackets / leashes will be shared. Instructors will use their own equipment at all times.
We would like to respectfully ask that the public maintain social distance as you encounter our staff, volunteers, and client teams in the community. As always, please refrain from approaching or petting any of our working dogs or puppies-in-training.
Please take care of yourself and your families. We will continue to monitor the evolving situation and update you as decisions are made. Thank you for your support during this challenging time.